Mixing Leica‘s traditional aesthetic with contemporary, hybrid functionality, the SL2-S is a well-rounded full-frame mirrorless camera with apt photo and video capabilities. Revolving around Leica’s first BSI CMOS sensor, the 24.6MP sensor offers DCI/UHD 4K 10-bit video recording, broad sensitivity from ISO 50-100,000, and vivid image quality with low noise.
The sensor is complemented by the refined Maestro III image processor, which avails high-speed performance and versatility throughout the camera system. Full-res DNG continuous shooting at up to 25 fps is possible along with 4K video at up to 60p or Full HD at up to 180 fps. And, emphasizing the hybrid ethos, Leica has also implemented separate Photo and Video menu systems for more intuitive navigation and settings control when working in either mode.
Complementing both photo and video applications, a 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization system minimizes the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Also, the sensor’s design incorporates a Leica Object Detection AF system, which uses 225 selectable AF areas for fast and accurate performance.
Beyond updated imaging, the SL2-S also features durable, weather-sealed body design that includes a 5.76m-dot EyeRes OLED EVF and a large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD. A top status LCD is also featured for quick recognition of shooting settings and dual UHS-II-compatible SD memory card slots offer file-saving flexibility. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work in conjunction with the Leica FOTOs app for wireless file transferring and remote camera control.
24.6MP Full-Frame BSI CMOS Sensor and Maestro III Processor
DCI/UHD 4K 10-Bit Video Recording
An immensely capable video camera, the SL2-S offers both DCI and UHD 4K recording at up to 60p using either the full-frame sensor area or an APS-C/Super 35mm crop. Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording is supported for frame rates up to 30p, and 60p is available at 8-bit 4:2:0. When recording externally via the full-size HDMI port, 10-bit output is available at all frame rates for DCI and UHD 4K. Full HD recording is also supported with high-speed frame rates up to 180 fps for slow-motion playback. Additionally, there is no imposed recording limit at any resolution or frame rate, allowing for extended recording times.
Complementing the video quality, a dedicated Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) mode and L-Log gamma profile can be used to for in-camera HDR output or for expand highlight and shadow detail and greater flexibility when color grading during post-production. There are also integrated viewing LUTs for improved color control and accuracy. Video recording can be split into 1-minute segments to avoid data loss, and a color bar provides reference for correct color grading and sound control in postproduction. Additionally, benefitting audio quality, support for an external microphone and headphones are also available via dedicated 3.5mm jacks. Video recording can be split into 1-minute segments to avoid data loss.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics.
- The impressive EyeRes EVF is a high-resolution 5.76m-dot OLED finder offering a clear 0.78x configurable viewing magnification along with a smooth 120 fps refresh rate and 0.005 sec lag.
- Large 3.2″ 2.1m-dot touchscreen LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. This screen also uses Gorilla Glass for a highly durable design.
- Separate photo and video menu systems eliminate the need to readjust settings when switching from photo to video modes, resulting in a more intuitive workflow, especially when mixing content types in a single shoot.
- In addition to the rear LCD, a 1.28″ top status LCD can also be used for quickly reviewing shooting settings, even when the camera is powered off.
- Durable, weather-sealed magnesium-alloy construction is splash, dust, and freezeproof (IP54-rated) to accommodate working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
- Dual UHS-II-compatible SD memory card slots offer flexible image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- A USB Type-C port allows for fast file transferring; tethering, with full support for Capture One 21 and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom; and high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, a full-size HDMI Type-A port benefits video applications, and 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs.
- BP-SCL4 rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated for approximately 510 shots per charge.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, when used in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS app for iOS and Android, permits sharing imagery directly to a linked mobile device and also enables remote control over the camera and remote shooting via a live view image. Additionally, Bluetooth LE helps to maintain a permanent connection between the mobile device and the camera, enabling remote waking of the camera and automatic connection anytime within range.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization compensates for a broad range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery.
Using sensor-shift stabilization technology, the SL2-S also features a Multishot mode to capture and compile eight separate exposure to create a single 96MP file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 12000 x 8000-pixel resolution.